So last Friday was no meat day again, so I decided on making a meal I haven't had in a while. This meal brings back lots of memories when I grew up in Camiguin (island located in the Philippines). I used to hang around with friends at night and when 2am struck, we would go by the shore to buy fresh squid before it even hit the market. After that, we would go by a friends house to either cook it as Adobo or Tinuwa (squid soup) and also stop by a couple other friends houses to gather around all the leftover rice we could find to eat with it. Its way more delicious when made with fresh caught squid but since I'm not living on a lovely island anymore I just have to deal with it the squid you can get at the grocery stores that have been iced for days. It still turned out good. And instead of eating it with rice, I ate it with steamed yams and brined anchovies (ginamos). I dipped the yams in the brined anchovies that had thai chilies and lime juice mixed into it, I know it sounds really weird but its actually really delicious.
Usually I don't clean out the squid before cooking it but since I had my nephew try it for the first time I didn't want him to see all the gross goo in it while trying to eat it plus, its just way more easier to eat when you clean it beforehand. So, if you do not know how to clean a lovely squid, click on this link ---->>> . How to clean and prepare squid. Wiki-how explains it way more better than what I would of said. =)
Anyway, now the prepping part is over, lets get to the cooking. Here is the recipe for Adobong Pusit:
1 pound of Squid, cleaned and prepped
1 medium Onion
6 cloves of Garlic (the more garlic the better!)
2 Bay leaves
1 Jalapeno, sliced
1/4 cup of Soy Sauce
1/4 cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Water
1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
a dash of MSG (I know its bad for you, totally your choice to add it in or not.)
Saute the garlic until nice and light brown, add the onion and let in cook for about a minute or two or until its a little transparent. Add the squid, stir it around and cover again for about one minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about five minutes. Don't leave it in for to long or it will get all rubbery. And there you go, noms
Saute the garlic until nice and light brown, add the onion and let in cook for about a minute or two or until its a little transparent. Add the squid, stir it around and cover again for about one minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about five minutes. Don't leave it in for to long or it will get all rubbery. And there you go, noms
No comments:
Post a Comment