Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ginisang Munggo


I'm back! It's been a while since I have posted yummy recipes on here. I honestly don't have a reason except for just being flat out lazy about it. But it also doesn't mean that I haven't been continuing my journey in cooking delicious food for scratch.

I woke up today thinking about a Filipino dish I have't had in years. My first thought in mind was Ginisa nga Munggos (Ginisang Munggo/ Mung Bean Stew). I remember eating over at a neighbors house in the Philippines when I was little and I was amazed how delicious it was even though it kind of looked gross through a childs' eyes. I was debating whether to make it with coconut milk or not but then decided on making the original vision for all of you wonderful people and for my significant other to grub on (it's going to be his first time trying this dish).

The neighbors made their version without any meat and they had malunggay leaves and would also eat it over rice with dried fish. My version is going to be a tad different. I could get malunggay leaves and dried fish at the Asian market but that's a little to far for me. How I wish there was a closer one around here. Anyway, I am making mine with Pork and Shrimp and instead of malunggay leaves, I have spinach. I am also only for two people so you might have to double this recipe if you are cooking for more.

Okay now, lets get to the recipe...

2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 medium  onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 fresno pepper (atsal), chopped
1 cup of thinly sliced pork
1/2 cup shrimp meat
1 1/2 cups of mung beans soaked for 4 hours
a bunch of spinach
2 tbs olive oil

1/2 cube of chicken bouillon, for flavor
2 tbs. patis (fish sauce)
salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Procedure:
  • Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add in the tomatoes and fresno peppers once the onions are a tad cooked or looking translucent. Add in the half of a chicken bouillon cube, stir and cover for about a minute or two.
  • Add pork, stir and cover for five minutes or until pork is brown.
  • Add mung beans and add water. I like this dish kind of soupy so I think I added about 7-9 cups of water.
  •  Have it simmer 40-50 minutes. Stir and season to your taste.
  • Add shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes.
  • Add spinach. Have it cook for less than a minute to just be able to welt and turn off stove. 
And there ya go, noms!



1 comment: